So why all this buzz around kale?
This green has been in the limelight for a while now as a nutrient powerhouse and trendy salad base. Kale has been named one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet (!) packed with vitamin C, K, A and powerful antioxidants. This extremely healthy and versatile green can be baked, steamed, or massaged, and still hold a firm texture. Curly kale is especially resilient while cooking – holding its’ shape, texture, and beautiful deep green color – and is utilized in this steamed kale and crispy chickpea dish.
Chickpeas: the versatile bean!
The spice combo used in this recipe includes cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt giving the chickpeas a warm, smoky flavor. However, feel free to experiment with different combinations of spices! The chickpea is a delicious addition to any dish and provides texture variety as well as a kick of protein and fiber – sure to keep you feeling full!
This yummy combo of steamed kale and spiced chickpeas can be enjoyed any time of the day. Change up your breakfast routine and try this in the morning with an egg and some toast!
Crispy Chickpea & Steamed Kale
- Wooden spoon
- Medium sauté pan
- 1 large bunch kale, torn into bite sized pieces "Curly" kale is my favorite variety for this, but any variety will work. You can also throw in more than 1 bunch, as the kale will shrink in size a lot!
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (can substitute pumpkin seeds or chopped nuts)
Spice blend (feel free to try out other spices!)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat a medium-sized pan to medium-low heat. Cast iron pans work well here, but any sauté pan will do.
- Add the oil and chickpeas. Stir chickpeas and let them sauté in a single even layer for about 1 minute. Add the spices and salt, mix and let chickpeas sauté, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all of the kale on top of the chickpeas and cover with a lid.
- After about 1-2 minutes, give the kale a gentle stir. Replace lid.
- After another 2-3 minutes, remove the lid, the kale should be steamed and the chickpeas crispy.
- Serve in a bowl and finish with freshly squeezed lemon and sunflower seeds.
Like our recipes? We’d love to cook with you during one of our LIVE upcoming cooking classes!