Mole is a sauce originating from Mexico, and can have many different ingredients in it. This recipe is a quicker version of mole that uses pumpkin, allspice and peanuts for flavor! The mole sauce has SO much depth to the flavor, it’s smoky, creamy, savory, and a little bit sweet.
There are quite a bit of ingredients, but they’re mostly ingredients you may already have!
- 2 lbs ripe soft tomatoes (about 6 -7 medium tomatoes) Tomatoes with soft skin work well
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ your best olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar Can substitute with red wine vinegar
- 1 small baguette, about 4-5 inches long or 2.5 cups, torn into 2" pieces Stale bread is best
- ½ cup prosciutto or serrano/Iberian ham
- 2 crumbled hard-boiled egg
- A somewhat stale baguette is best for texture. You can throw your baguette in the oven for about 5 minutes just to get it a little crustier (optional!)
- Blend tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and vinegar in a blender.
- Place bread in the blended mixture and let it still in the fridge for 30 minutes. The bread will soak up the mixture.
- Then blend on high until everything is pureed well. It should be a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Chill the soup in the fridge (or freezer for a quick chill) and then serve with optional garnishes!