Delicata squash are a great vegetable to stuff. They become sweet and nutty when baked. Their skin becomes soft and edible so you don’t have to work about peeling the squash! You can stuff them with a variety of different proteins and flavors.
For this recipe we kept the stuffing on the simple side but used a zesty sauce. Feel free to play around with the stuffing and sauce ingredients! You could also add a bunch of flavor and spice to the filling and leave the sauce out. Many possibilities here!
Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 3 delicata squash (can sub sweet potatoes if needed), sliced in half lengthwise with seeds removed
- Olive oil
- 1 lb loose sausage OR about 2 cups cooked beans or cubed tofu
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 10 ounces (about 2 cups) of mushrooms, cubed into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup grated cheese like mozzarella or cheddar
Green Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons of white miso (can sub soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon of honey or sweetener
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons grated and peeled ginger
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rub about 1 tablespoon of oil on the insides of the delicata squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place cut side down on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake until the flesh is soft, about 30-45 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium heat and add the sausage, stirring. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and onion. Continue to cook and stir until the sausage is browned and cooked through, and the mushrooms and onions are soft.
- * If using beans or tofu, add them after the mushrooms and onions have softened. You can also add some spices like salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, and/or cumin.
- Remove the squash from the oven and stuff the cavities with the sautéed mixture. Top with cheese and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Serve the stuffed squash with the green sauce on top.