These fritters are pretty simple but SO good. They get nice and crispy on the outside, but nice and fluffy on the outside. I love to add corn and green chile for a calabacitas style fritter. Feel free to double the recipe as these tend to get eaten up fast!
- 1.5 lbs zucchini or summer squash (about 2 large or 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup flour I like to do a mix of all purpose and whole wheat, but any flour will work.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 medium onion or 2 shallots finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar, feta, mozzerella, etc).
- Oil for sauteing
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Shred zucchini using a box grater or a food processor. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt on the zucchini and mix and let set for about 10 minutes. Then place into the middle of a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze until water stops coming out. You can also let the zucchini sit in a colander for about 10 minutes and then squeeze the water out.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. The mixture should stay together if you form a pancake with your hands. If it is not staying together you can add another egg and some flour.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add oil. Place about 1/4 cup of the mixture on the hot pan and flatten with a spatula. Cook until the edges are browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Cook on the second side for about 3-4 minutes. Place finished fritters on a paper towel.
- Mix ingredients of the dipping sauces and serve!
- For a calabacitas style fritter, add corn and green chile to the fritter mixture.
- You can use chickpea flour as the flour for some extra protein!